History

The 1st Wexford Sea Scouts was founded back in 1965 with new recruits wearing short trousers and the scout hall was a chicken shed in the Irishtown.  Back then, Dollymount (5th Port Dublin) sea scouts, led by Skipper Dick Veins, paddled down the Barrow for the first time, and camped at New Ross Boat Club.  The visit prompted local interest in Sea Scouting.  Eoghan Lavelle had been a member of Dollymount, and by this time was National Commissioner for Sea Scouting.  He was very keen to advance Sea Scouting in the Association and shortly afterwards Captain Des Carroll started the 1st Wexford (New Ross) Sea Scouts.

Some years later Eoghan returned to New Ross with his new Dun Laoghaire Sea scouts, who were challenged by New Ross to a hurling match. Despite the visiting team being avid hurlers from Coláiste Eoin, the home team had the game.  Dollymount and Dun Laoghaire sea scout groups are still going strong and meet the New Ross group at camps and competitions.

In the early days, New Ross sea scouts had the use of a barge, then the old lightship, the Osprey on the quay and finally came to the current scout hall, which was a church, built in 1841 on Marsh Lane.  In recent times, the group’s water activities are very kindly facilitated by New Ross Boat Club and most of the fleet of boats have been donated or  sponsored.

Over the decades the group has been supported by great parents committees and led by some characterful group leaders: Paddy Delaney, Brian McMahon, May Holden, Toddy O’Brien, Tom Mackey, Kitty Warren, Tony Hartford and Phil Croarkin to name but a few.

img269.jpg

Advertisements